Skunks are one of nature’s most notorious creatures, famous for their ability to produce a powerful and foul-smelling odor as a defense mechanism. While skunks are generally harmless creatures, they can become a real problem when they start to take up residence near human homes, especially if they find their way under your shed or deck. In this article, we will explore some methods for getting rid of skunks and preventing them from coming back.
First and foremost, it is important to understand that skunks are protected animals in many regions, and it is illegal to kill or harm them. Therefore, it is best to focus on humane methods of removal and exclusion that will help the skunks safely find a new home elsewhere.
How to Get Rid of Skunks Living Under Sheds
If you have a skunk living under your shed, it can be a frustrating situation. Skunks are known for their strong and unpleasant odor, and they can cause damage to your property. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to humanely get rid of skunks from under your shed.
First, you’ll need to identify the entry and exit points for the skunks. Look for holes or gaps in the shed’s foundation or walls. You may also be able to see tracks or signs of digging.
Next, you can use exclusion devices, such as one-way doors or barriers, to prevent the skunks from re-entering the shed. These devices allow the skunks to exit the shed, but they prevent them from coming back in.
You can also use repellent sprays or powders to make the area around the shed less appealing to the skunks. Some effective ingredients include vinegar, mothballs, and ammonia.
Finally, if you’re still having trouble getting rid of the skunks, it may be necessary to call in a professional wildlife control expert. They will have the tools and expertise needed to humanely remove the skunks from under your shed and prevent them from returning.
It’s important to remember that skunks are protected by law in many areas, so it’s important to handle the situation humanely and in accordance with local laws. By taking the necessary steps to get rid of skunks from under your shed, you can prevent unpleasant odors, property damage, and potential health hazards.
How to Get Rid of Skunks Under Decks and Porches
If you have a deck or porch, you may have experienced the presence of skunks living under it. Skunks are nocturnal animals that like to burrow and make their homes in secluded, dark spaces like under decks. Having skunks living under your deck can be a problem as they can spray a strong, unpleasant odor and make a mess of your yard.
Here are some steps to get rid of skunks under your deck:
- Block access: Block off any holes or gaps under your deck to prevent skunks from entering. You can use hardware cloth or chicken wire to cover the holes.
- Remove food sources: Skunks will be attracted to your property if there is a food source. Make sure to secure your garbage cans, pick up fallen fruit from fruit trees, and keep pet food indoors.
- Use deterrents: Skunks are sensitive to light and noise, so you can use bright lights and loud music or radios to scare them away. You can also use commercial deterrent sprays, but these should be used with caution.
- Live traps: If you have a skunk that has taken up residency under your deck, you can use a live trap to capture and relocate the skunk. Just make sure to check with local wildlife authorities to see if this is legal in your area.
- Professional help: If you have a skunk infestation or if the skunks are difficult to remove, it may be best to seek professional help. Wildlife control experts have the experience and equipment to safely and effectively remove skunks from your property.
Remember to always handle skunks with caution, as they can be dangerous and carry diseases. By following these steps, you can get rid of skunks living under your deck and keep your property safe and odor-free.
Homemade Repellent To Deter Skunks
If you are looking for an affordable and natural solution to keep skunks away from your property, there are a few DIY repellents you can try. Here are some of the most effective homemade deterrents to get rid of skunks:
- Ammonia Solution: Skunks are known to dislike the strong odor of ammonia. Mix equal parts of ammonia and water and sprinkle the solution around your property, especially near the areas where skunks are most active. Reapply the solution every week to keep the area skunk-free.
- Hot Pepper Spray: Capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot peppers, is a natural deterrent for skunks. Mix hot pepper sauce with water and a drop of dish soap, then spray the solution around your property. This will create a barrier that skunks won’t want to cross.
- Garlic and Cayenne Pepper Repellent: A mixture of garlic and cayenne pepper is another natural skunk deterrent. Crush several cloves of garlic and add them to a spray bottle filled with water. Then, add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Shake the bottle well and spray the solution around your property.
- Mothballs: Skunks have a sensitive sense of smell, and the strong odor of mothballs can be enough to keep them away. Place several mothballs in a mesh bag and place them under your deck or near the entrance to your shed.
- Motion-Activated Sprinkler: Another effective deterrent is a motion-activated sprinkler. These devices can detect movement and trigger a burst of water, which will scare away skunks and other pests.
Using a combination of these homemade deterrents can help you to get rid of skunks permanently and naturally. However, if your skunk problem persists, it may be time to call in a professional. They can provide you with a more comprehensive solution to your skunk problem and help you keep your property skunk-free for good.
Last Updated on February 13, 2023